birding-aus

Mystery birds

To: <>
Subject: Mystery birds
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:10:24 +1100
I've tried sending this message several times but it bounces. Hope it goes this time

Yesterday afternoon (19th Feb) while my husband and I were outside on our
patio having a cuppa, he saw a group of about 15 birds fly very rapidly
overhead.
They were in a tight flock "like a flock of Budgies" but bigger and they
made a quite strong sound with their wings as they flew. I heard the sound
but didn't see them.
He said they flew in a direct line, had short pointed wings, flapped
rapidly, did not undulate and
were very, very fast. I thought of the smaller lorikeets but don't know of
any that make
a wing sound as they fly. They did not call. He didn't see any colour, just
the outline against the overcast sky.
The area is Gembrook, 75 km nort-west of Melbourne in tall eucalypt forest
with many eucalypts in flower right now.