birding-aus

Little Penguin Nests being vandalised in Manly

Subject: Little Penguin Nests being vandalised in Manly
From: "inger vandyke" <>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 07:21:29 +0000

Hello Andrew et al

You are right that the DEC has translocated Little Penguins from Lion Island to the Manly colony.  There have also been a couple of well publicised translocations of captive bred Little Penguins from Taronga to Manly.  Both are done with the best of intentions to keep the population at Manly healthy and sustainable.  It's not an entirely stupid idea.  The Manly penguins regularly forage all along the North Shore and also at Bondi etc.  I've seen them as far north as Palm Beach when I've been surfing.

Rock Warblers into the CBD?  I wonder what the council would do with them using the overhangs of some of the Macquarie Street sandstone buildings to nest?

Cheers,

Inger