birding-aus

GPS for birders

To: "Dave Torr" <>,
Subject: GPS for birders
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:45:55 +0800 (WST)
G'day Dave

I've had a Garmin Etrex yellow base model for a few years.  The page
button has broken off but it still works.  My current device is an Etrex
Legend.  My first legend had a dodgy click stick and it was replaced
without drama under warranty.  The new Legend is working fine.  The Legend
has mapping capability and there are maps you can buy and others you can
download.  I have downloaded accurate street maps of Melbourne, Malaysia
and Southern Africa.  They have proven very useful.  One gripe with Garmin
is the lack of Apple Macintosh support.  There are lots of tools for
Windows but few for Mac.  As far as I know ther are no applications to add
new maps with Macintosh but there are a couple of apps to let you
manipulate waypoints etc.  I don't know if other brands support Macs.  USB
rather than the older serial connection would be worthwhile.

A cable to draw power from the car lighter socket is a worthwhile extra
purchase whichever brand you choose.

Johnny Appleseed is a great shop (Brisbane and Melbourne) to deal with.

Cheers

Steve Clark
S 37 44 45.9, E 142 00 56.9