birding-aus

HOUSE SPARROW

To: "kbrandwood" <>
Subject: HOUSE SPARROW
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:00:56 +1000
I have watched House Sparrows taking nectar from Grevilleas at several sites, including my yard in Maroochydore, my sister's house some 20 kilometres south, and at work which is 15 kms inland. I have been aware of this for over ten years.

Their method is to squeeze the base of the individual flower with their beaks, and then take the nectar when it is more accessible further up the flower, since they have neither the fine beak, nor the brush tongue.

Robyn