birding-aus

RFI- camera gift

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI- camera gift
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:19:10 +1000
Greetings Judith,

Paul Taylor has written,

> I have a Canon S2 IS; it's comparable to the Panasonic FZ20.
> There's also the new Canon S3 IS which has a couple of minor
> enhancements over the S2 IS, but is otherwise identical.
>
> Both the Canon and Panasonic cameras will give you excellent
> results; I would try both and see which you find the most
> comfortable to use (shape, weight, viewfinder, menu system etc.)

I endorse his  recommendation of the Canon S3 IS.  It appears to cover the
requirements you list .

I had been using film cameras for over sixty years.  Realised I should move
on to digital.  In June, my son (who has had a digital camera for several
years) was visiting from Perth.  I got him to go with me to Brisbane's main
photographic shop and advise me on purchase.

My requirement was simple: best under $1000 for getting photos of an
Albert's Lyrebird.  (He was familiar with the lyrebird habitat, and was well
aware that lyrebirds are shy, and that light level is low on the floor of
the rainforest.)

After discussion with shop's adviser, we settled on a Canon S3 IS.  From the
shop we headed to Lyrebird territory where I concentrated on sound recording
and left my son to try out the camera.

The results were highly satisfactory.   Judith, if you are happy to accept
an attachment of about 300 K, I'll email you off-list a JPG of an Albert's
Lyrebird in full display to demonstrate.  Then, if wishing to consider the
Canon further, I can send you the technical details of the camera.  (Price
between $800 & $900).

I would add that my son (a computer expert) transferred the images to my Mac
G3 and also took the camera (or its flash card or whatever it is) to a local
store with the appropriate facilities and printed out the images on the
spot. Fantastic, is modern technology!

Good luck,

Syd