birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing article

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing article
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:59:23 +1000
It doesn't seem to be on the Aus website, so you might need to pop out to a shop to purchase a copy of the paper ($2.20). It has some interesting graphics, and a photo of a group of twitchers with associated optical gear that you probably wouldn't get with an electronic version. It also has the species count of most of the people mentioned. I don't think Frank O'Connor's post had made it onto B-Aus at the time of writing, so unfortunately, there was no mention of any sandgropers making it to BJ.

Regarding the bird's popularity - one of the key factors about the GHL's site faithfulness is that people who can't drop everything and dash off to twitch the bird have the chance to go for it when their window of opportunity opens.

In my case, I had to wait a few weeks before I had two consecutive spare days. Technically, because I found the bird within minutes of arriving at the site, I could have done the return trip in 16 hours, but I prefer not to drive during hoppabilly time if I have the option.

Regards, Laurie.