birding-aus

Opportunists - was Platypus

To: bird <>
Subject: Opportunists - was Platypus
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:19:22 +1000
Other opportunists I have observed included assorted ducks following Black Swans which were wrenching long weeds up from the bottom of a shallow lake - the ducks were clearly capturing waterlife disturbed among the roots, and also eating broken bits of plant stems. Another (many years ago) was during my first ever view of a Comb-crested Jacana aka Lilytrotter, at the University of Queensland's lake - as it ran and prodded about on an extensive mat of water-lilies, it was shadowed by a Little Black Cormorant which repeatedly dived under the Jacana's position. I presume it was catching small life disturbed by the Jacana . The Jacana seemed to be taking water-snail egg-masses from the underside of the leaves.
Anthea Fleming

michael hunter wrote:

Hi Vikki,
            There was an excellent documentary on ABCTV by David Parer and
his wife on platypi (?platypuses, ?platypussys?) a couple of years ago, with
underwater film of Little Pied Cormorants following the platys around as
they dislodged stones from the bottom and stirred up food for the birds. I'd
guess that the video would still be available.
                                              Cheers
                                                  Michael