birding-aus

FW: Birdpedia - Australia - Notification: NewSighting Report - Members

To: Bob Lake <>
Subject: FW: Birdpedia - Australia - Notification: NewSighting Report - Members
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:37:45 +1000
Hi Bob and others

From time to time I get requests from researchers to publicise their projects and/or ask for data to be submitted. I'm always happy to help out, and there is a page on the birding-aus website where I add this sort of info - go to our website at http://www.birding-aus.org and click "Requests". At present there is only one item there, a request from last November. Always happy to add more!

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org

On 03/04/2006, at 1:08 PM, Bob Lake wrote:

Hi Colin and all,

Good comment on why many people may be deterred from submitting sightings, ideas and comments. I am a recent member and have just sent in my first sighting report, and this brought half a dozen interesting responses, ideas and contacts. So my initial experience has been encouraging.

As far as ideas go, one thing I had hoped for from birding-aus emails - and so far haven't seen - was information from researchers on projects (Australia-wide) that might need input. I am referring not particularly to atlassing/twitching type reports - which have immediate relevance to many of us - but to longer term behavioural and distribution studies. If researchers (institutional, Ph.D's, government, whovever) were to publish information on their activities and needs regarding research projects - and their geographical fields of interest - then there would undoubtedly be experienced birdwatchers in those areas willing to help. For the amateur ornithologists it could bring a whole new field of interest and focus, as well has helping the researchers.

I am a member of BA and BOCA and am aware that they have special interest groups and atlassing projects under way, and my wife and I have participated in several of these over the years. I do feel however, that it would interest many enthusiasts to become involved in a wider variety of research projects that catch their imagination.

Hope that everyone keeps the reports coming in.

Cheers

Bob Lake