birding-aus

FW: Birdpedia - Australia - Notification: NewSighting Report - Members

Subject: FW: Birdpedia - Australia - Notification: NewSighting Report - Members
From: "Bob Lake" <>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:08:37 +1000
Hi Colin and all,

Good comment on why many people may be deterred from submitting sightings, ideas and comments. I am a recent member and have just sent in my first sighting report, and this brought half a dozen interesting responses, ideas and contacts. So my initial experience has been encouraging.

As far as ideas go, one thing I had hoped for from birding-aus emails - and so far haven't seen - was information from researchers on projects (Australia-wide) that might need input. I am referring not particularly to atlassing/twitching type reports - which have immediate relevance to many of us - but to longer term behavioural and distribution studies. If researchers (institutional, Ph.D's, government, whovever) were to publish information on their activities and needs regarding research projects - and their geographical fields of interest - then there would undoubtedly be experienced birdwatchers in those areas willing to help. For the amateur ornithologists it could bring a whole new field of interest and focus, as well has helping the researchers.

I am a member of BA and BOCA and am aware that they have special interest groups and atlassing projects under way, and my wife and I have participated in several of these over the years. I do feel however, that it would interest many enthusiasts to become involved in a wider variety of research projects that catch their imagination.

Hope that everyone keeps the reports coming in.

Cheers

Bob Lake