birding-aus

Incredible Backyard Ticks

To: Ricki Coughlan <>
Subject: Incredible Backyard Ticks
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:58:31 +1000
To: "Ricki Coughlan" <>

Whilst living at Marine Parade in Maroubra, Sydney from 1998 to 2002,
I had no backyard, but saw some pretty good seabirds from the window.

Here's my top ten:

Southern Fulmar
Royal Albatross
Roseate Tern
Red-tailed Tropicbird
Streaked Shearwater
White-necked Petrel
White-headed Petrel
Brown Booby
Buller's Shearwater
Long-tailed Jaeger

I'm not making this up! (though a couple didn't get accepted by the
NSW rarities committee).
Given the numbers of Streaked Shearwaters seen recently, maybe it
should be replaced by the eleventh on the list, Cape Petrel.

Cheers,

Rod

Which brings us to . . . the best backyard ticks!

I currently live in suburban Belrose. I have an excellent variety of
parrots and cockatoos along with resident Laughing Kookaburras
and Australian Magpies. However, recently I was stunned to find a
family of 3 Eastern Whipbirds scolding at a Pied Currawong!

Ricki Coughlan
Sydney, Australia

<