birding-aus

Ultimate tick

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ultimate tick
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:44:17 +1000
There are many sorts of ticks.

There are mundane ticks, like the mute swans at Northam;
There are fortuitous ticks, where you literally stumble over a bird that you weren't looking for [like the striated grasswren that was beside the road when I happened to pull up in the Pilbara]; There are bogey ticks, when you finally sight a species that for some reason you haven't been able to see in its usual haunts [like the black-eared cuckoo that perched one metre from me in the Gammon Ranges]; There are the vagrant ticks that you opportunistically pick up when someone reports a misplaced bird [like the laughing gull on Bribie Island]; and There are the inaccessible endemics that you target when you pass through their range [like the eyrean grasswrens in the Lake Eyre Basin or the eclectus parrots on Cape York Peninsula].

The ultimate tick for me would not be mundane, vagrant or bogey, but something you would be lucky to stumble across once in a life time. That would be a a dumpy green parrot that lives in spinifex. I suspect I am more likely to crack 700 Aus ticks than to ID one of these chaps.

Regards, Laurie