birding-aus

RFI: GPS for birding

To: "'Stuart Cooney'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: GPS for birding
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:03:22 +0930
I'm almost glad to hear this story from Stuart. I had a Magellan which was always very slow to get a fix and which finally stopped working altogether. It became a joke in the field. I switched to a Garmin GPS II Plus. This works infinitely better. It did at one time develop an internal battery problem which was fixed at no cost by a Garmin rep here in Adelaide - they knew of the fault and were repairing them for free as people brought them in. This struck me as them standing behind their product very satisfactorily. It's worked perfectly ever since.
 The old Magellan hit the bottom of my Sulo bin with a satisfying and resounding thud.
I have already responded privately to Martin's request for info.

Tony Russell