birding-aus

Raptor ID please - Follow up

To: "Mike Simpson" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Raptor ID please - Follow up
From: Stuart Cooney <>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:52:19 +1000
If we are taking a poll, both myself and Penny Olsen reckon its a Collared
Sparrowhawk (but definitely Accipiter),

Stuart

At 10:33 AM 11/08/2005, Mike Simpson wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded to my request for ID of this raptor. By the
looks of things it is unlikely we will ever resolve this one. So far we have

Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Brown Goshawk
Collared Sparrowhawk

I have added a third photo to my page at
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbird2/unknownbird.html
This one is even worse than the others, but does show the leg better if that
helps anyone.

FYI, I checked the site this morning, the distance from the camera was
almost 100m, camera used was Olympus C740 with TCON-17 teleconverter giving
17 * optical zoom or equivalent to a 646 mm lens. The bottom two photos I
tried with digital zoom as well, but actually they are worse than the top
picture.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds