birding-aus

Raptor ID please

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Mike Simpson" <>
Subject: Raptor ID please
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:55:11 +1000

It has to be an accipiter, not a falcon.

Wing-length is well short of Brown Falcon, even more so for Hobby.

No sign of Brown Falcon’s distinctive face.

Wing-length is dead right for sparrowhawk or goshawk. Tail definitely says goshawk.

And, as Tom Tarrant said, there is a hint of the rufous collar in one of the photographs.

Brown Goshawk.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",

Lockyer Valley, Queensland.