birding-aus

Capertee Valley: sensational

Subject: Capertee Valley: sensational
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:27:04 +1000
The Capertee Valley continues to show good numbers of Regent Honeyeaters. I was down there again on the weekend and we found Regents at four sites that we visited, with at least eight at one site including two birds copulating.

For anyone going down there, look in any area where there are White Box in flower. (For those who are not botanically inclined, the White Box are the eucalypts with a pale coloured rough fibrous bark, sometimes with whitish blotches, spreading branches, and broad greyish leaves. The flowers are whitish or cream coloured and quite showy for a eucalypt. Sometimes a carpet of fallen flowers on the ground below is a give-away.) Any information on sites and numbers will be useful for the recovery project so please look in any spots you can and report your sightings to David Geering

Other highlights from the weekend included a flock of about 20 Turquoise Parrots at Glenowlan Bridge, Southern Whitefaces along the Glen Alice roadside, Red-browed Treecreepers and Hooded Robins behind Oskar's Cottage, Musk Lorikeets near Port Macquarie Road, Little Lorikeets everywhere, and a wintering Rufous Songlark at Coco Creek.

On my own land I had both Painted Button-quail and Stubble Quail (though only brief glimpses of flushed birds), and early in the morning, it was amazing to see a White Box full of Dusky Woodswallows feeding on the nectar in every single flowering branch and managing to keep the army of White-plumed, Fuscous, White-naped and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters out for a short time.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Capertee Valley & Blue Mountains, NSW