birding-aus

Capertee Valley: sensational

Subject: Capertee Valley: sensational
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:31:36 +1000
It's great to read all the glowing reports coming in from the Capertee Valley lately. Now, after last week's rain and with the White Box in flower, it's looking as good as ever. Some of the trees are literally swarming with birds.

I was down there as well on Sunday but it wasn't really a birding trip; I spent the whole day on my land, preparing a floor for a small shed to house the new composting toilet. I arrived at a chilly dawn to find a startled mob of kangaroos bounding away from the trees I recently planted near the front gate. The leaves of these tender young ironbarks were covered in icicles; not an easy start in life for them. For those who are interested, of the 46 I planted just over a month ago, two have died and 4 have been severely munched by the 'roos. The rest look healthy having received some very welcome rainfall last week. The soil is moist all the way down and the dams are full. But I'm mystified by the kangaroos' habit of nibbling the cardboard tree guards, sometimes pulling them right off, yet hardly touching most of the plants themselves.

Anyway, the day turned into a beautiful sunny winter's day and I set to work on my task of levelling a patch of ground, accompanied by the calls of a legion of nectarivores. Eleven honeyeater species as well as Little Lorikeets, coming and going all day long, and I didn't have to walk anywhere, they all came to me (well, to the blossom, lerps and water actually). White-plumed, Yellow-tufted, Fuscous, Striped, Yellow-faced, Black-chinned and Brown-headed were there, but most noticeable of all were great flocks of White-naped Honeyeaters wheeling around.

A White-throated Gerygone gave a beautiful burst of song. All the other usual birds were there but with an accelerated tempo of activity. Babblers and Shrike-tits, Diamond Firetails and Double-bars, Restless Flycatchers, Dusky Woodswallows, Mistletoebirds zipping around, and a very loud Olive-backed Oriole making a call which sounded like a cranky Grey Butcherbird, not its more well-known mellow call. Some species are already breeding, or at least thinking about it. A female Red-rumped Parrot peered out of a hole in a branch while her mate stood watch outside, and Wood Ducks were up in trees inspecting hollows. A pair of Spotted Pardalotes were taking a great interest in what I was doing, repeatedly coming down to look at the freshly dug earth and picking up little strands of bark, unconcerned by my presence just two metres away. A lyrebird sang from up the hill.

A strange raptor shape had me puzzled momentarily until I realised it was a Wedge-tailed Eagle without a tail. Later in the day a Hobby flashed across the landscape creating panic amongst the smaller birds. It wasn't until late afternoon that the Painted Button-quail became evident. I heard it start to call close to sunset - had it been there all day, unseen?

Alas, no Regent Honeyeaters or Swift Parrots on my place that day, but they could very likely have been just over the next ridge, or visiting the next morning when I wasn't there. Conditions are the best I've seen in the valley for a while, and the whole place is buzzing with bird activity. It's amazing how things move up a gear almost as soon as the winter solstice passes, helped along by a bit of rain. Sensational, I agree!

Cheers,

Carol