birding-aus

Re: blackface

Subject: Re: blackface
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:27:23 +1000

I've been away from the computer for a few days and find this thread still running.  Tim makes the point "I give a monkeys' because I see a world that is being destroyed by people who have lost connection with nature. How to create that connection is my motivation. "

There's no doubt about this.  The problem, however, is much deeper than a few "user friendly" bird names could possibly fix.  Today's society is much more urbanised than it ever was.  People, and I'm talking about the vast majority of people in our societies, are much more interested in settling into their McMansions in the suburb.  They don't give a rat's xxxx about what birds are in the suburbs, letting alone what they are called.  They sure as hell aren't going to go out looking for them.

Next time you are in Royal National Park, for example, have a look at what the people are doing (and bear in mind this is the small subset that have actually taken the time to "connect with nature").  They have no idea what birds are there (other than perhaps the ducks they are stuffing with bread), and really don't care.  As societies become increasingly urbanised the connection to nature will be lost.  Sad but true.

I can only say that we should thank our lucky stars that there is still a small minority that do value the environment.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it immediately. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment and Conservation (NSW).