birding-aus

Re: blackface

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: blackface
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:13:42 +1000

Hi David,

I have to agree with your email. Perhaps this is really a lack of education issue. As a youngster, I lived in a remote village in the north of England, our headmaster used to take us for ‘Nature Walks’ on a regular basis. We soon learned to love the countryside, the names of the birds and plants etc.

In that environment, everyone knew and understood nature (even if we did have collections of birds eggs and pressed flowers – things were different then!),  Most of the adults depended on fishing and farming to make a living, so the countryside and it’s inhabitants were everything to them. Now living in suburbia things are completely different, there is no need for anyone to know about birdlife. except for them being a nuisance, making a noise and messing on the washing.

It is a pity we could not get some birding programs on TV which reflected the local birds. Bill Oddie’s birding programs in the UK have been a big hit there.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds