birding-aus

Re: RED-WHISKERED BULBULS

To: Craig Williams <>
Subject: Re: RED-WHISKERED BULBULS
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:21:33 +1000
Dear Craig and all

I have doubts that RWBulbuls have much, if any, affect on native birds. I lived in Darlington, between Chippingdale and Newtown, from 1983 to 2002. For the first 6 or so years, there were regularly a small number of Bulbuls visiting my tiny backyard. I never noticed any agression between them and the few native birds that were then also present - Blue Wrens and White-plumed honeyeaters. Then the Pied Currawong population centred on Sydney University built up to humungous numbers (I once saw one flying off with a nestling Blue Wren in its beak), my neighbours cleared out scrubby back yards and cut down trees (gentrification), and slowly over the next 5 or so years, the Bulbuls vanished. During my last 5 years or so in the area, I saw no Bulbuls. The same has occurred in the Darling Point area where a birding friend lives - lots of Noisy Miners and Pied Currawongs and now no Bulbuls.

Here in Gloucester we have yet to see any.

I've seen them in Israel which is one of their natural habitats, always in pairs, one singing on a TV aerial, not in huge flocks. I wonder if anyone has records of them in large numbers, such as say the Common Mynas that I once saw in Hawaii Big Island in thousands, no exaggeration. Which is what we are going to get here if we don't start to do something to control their numbers. They are much more of a threat to native species that the Bulbuls.