birding-aus

Gang-gang decline in NSW

To: Carol Probets <>
Subject: Gang-gang decline in NSW
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:22:22 +1000
Hi Carol and all,

How feasible is it that Indian Mynahs could be responsible for the
decline?  I've heard on this list that they can kill Galah babies and
have seen first hand them driving Rainbow Lorikeets from a nest
(Rainbow Lorikeets are the most fierce parrot I've ever seen in this
country), so I'd imagine Gang Gangs don't pose them too much of a
problem to steal nests from.  Scaly-breasted Lorikeets may be upgraded
to vulnerable in QLD soon and this would in part be from lack of
nesting holes from habitat loss and competition from Rainbow Lorikeets
and Indian Mynahs.

Regards,
Chris - Brisbane