birding-aus

Gang-gang decline in NSW

Subject: Gang-gang decline in NSW
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:33:53 +1100
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:46:48 +1100, Carol Probets <> wrote:
> I noticed in my local newspaper, a Notice of Preliminary Determination to
> support a proposal to list the Gang-gang Cockatoo as a Vulnerable Species in
> NSW.

The text can be found at:
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/PrintFriendly/Gang-gang_cockatoo_vulnerable_preliminary

The only basis appears to be a decline in reporting rates between atlases.
Two other species with a lot overlap in habitat/range with Gang-gangs,
Red-browed Treecreeper and  Rockwarbler, also apparently declined
similarly between Atlases.  Rockwarbler is more surprising (to me)
than Gang-gang: their habitat seems well conserved.

Andrew Taylor