birding-aus

Swift Parrots feeding in "Irony" Bark

To: "Sean Dooley" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots feeding in "Irony" Bark
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:02:56 +1000

I can completely relate to Sean's experience of finding swift parrots in logged, heavily cleared or disturbed areas - it is very disheartening and it can be difficult to maintain a positive outlook for our environment and the species that exist within it.  When I am confronted with such losses, I try to turn such experiences into something positive and to focus on how I can perhaps change things in future to avoid or minimise such losses in future.   This of course is not always easy or achievable given the circumstances that seem to govern decisions at times.  However if we can maintain our enthusiasm for protecting what is left and allow ourselves to experience the wonderful places and birds that have been protected, then I think we all stand a greater chance of being successful in creating positive outcomes.  Something I once read immediately after finding a large area of swift parrot habitat cleared sums it all up I ! think...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.. . . .

Debbie Saunders
Swift Parrot Recovery Officer
National Swift Parrot Recovery Team
PO Box 2115 Queanbeyan NSW 2620

02 6298 9733 or 1800 66 57 66
or

Please note:  The views expressed in this email may be those of the author and/or the Swift Parrot Recovery Team, and therefore are not necessarily views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.

"Sean Dooley" <>
Sent by:

02/09/2004 11:45 PM