birding-aus

Geographic misnomers. Broome is part of the Kimberley?.

Subject: Geographic misnomers. Broome is part of the Kimberley?.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:47:55 +0930
g'Day all

Remembering my first visit to Broome in the late 70's, after reading the tourism brochures available at the time, i had a mental picture of kimberley scenery surrounding the town.

For mass tourism marketing purposes, perhaps "The Kimberley" sounds better when describing Broome rather than referring to it's true location, "Situated on the featureless edge of the Sandy Desert, several hundred kilometres southwest of the Kimberley."

If there was truth in tourism marketing the brochures would read "it is possible to visit the Kimberley from Broome providing you have several days of spare time or access to a plane".

Its a bit like describing Tasmania as tropical. Then again it might be possible to find a Kimberley Flycatcher near Broome.

Regards

Ian

Tony Russell wrote:
Well Laurie, Pt Aug isn't as far north as the real far north, like Coober
Pedy etc.  I'd say Pt. Aug  is at the northern end of the mid north.
If one looks at the maps published by RAASA for SA, they label areas north
of Pt. Aug as the "Northern Areas" ( note, not Far North), which includes
the "Flinders Ranges" for which there is yet a separate map, and north of
that is called ( by RAASA) "The Outback", a map which also includes Pt Aug
and the Flinders. South of Pt Aug as far south as Pt Wakefield (ish) they
refer to as "The Mid North", south of that "Central".
No doubt all very confuzzing for the tourists from O/S and the foreigners
from interstate, but OK for us here in SA coz we understand the confusion
and all know where we are anyway.
La de dum de dee.
Tony in Adel.