birding-aus

Brimbank Park, Melbourne. & Western Treatment Plant. Vic.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Brimbank Park, Melbourne. & Western Treatment Plant. Vic.
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:14:58 +1000
Although we are experiencing a 'real ' winter here bird opportunities still abound.
Last week the Werribee Wagtails went to Brimbank Park just off the Western Ring Road.
It is a deep valley(55 metres below the basalt western plains)  carved out by the Maribyrnong River over many centuries. There are plenty of  River Red Gums  and plenty of birds.  There are plenty of walking trails and it is very sheltered.
We saw many raptors here is our bird list.

Australian Wood Duck

Pacific Black Duck

Australasian Grebe

Black Cormorant

Black -shouldered kite

Whistling kite

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Grey Goshawk

Little Eagle

Brown Falcon

Peregrine Falcon

Kestrel

Dusky Moorhen

Eurasian Coot

Rock dove(feral pigeon)

Corella

Sulphur-crested cockatoo

Rainbow lorikeet

Crimson Rosella

Eastern rosella

Red-rumped parrot

Tawny Frogmouth

Superb Fairy wren

Red wattle bird

White plumed honeyeater

New Holland Honey-eater

Crested Shrike Tit

Golden whistler

Magpie-lark

Willie Wagtail

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

Dusky Woodswallow

Australian Magpie

Little Raven

House Sparrow

Red-browed finch

Mistletoebird

Welcome Swallow

Fairy Martin

Silvereye

Common Blackbird

Common Starling

Common Myna

The Western Treatment Plant is still interesting, there were many Curlew Sandpipers and the last count of Godwits was 20, they were all down on the Borrow Pits.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee