birding-aus

Re: Superb Fruit-Dove

To: Dean Portelli <>
Subject: Re: Superb Fruit-Dove
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:08:15 +1000

Well described Dean. But I have a minor quibble with two points.

I thought that the tip of the tail was grey, not
green, might even be grey-green.

I recall that the ventral area of the tail was
off-white, though I might be wrong.

I have now checked HANZAB which neither
illustrates nor describes this blue band.

I think you might have saved me a trip to the Australian Museum.

regards, Andy

G'day Andy,

If I had ready access to it I would be checking
HANZAB's plumages section for the Superb
Fruit-Dove blue tail band (this is based on all
specimens in Australian museums - including all
in the Australian Museum at the time of writing).

For those who haven't seen any pictures the tail
band is a distinctive deep blue colour, and on
the DORSAL of the tail, roughly along the middle
of the tail feathers (so in effect given the
tail is so short it appears as a subterminal
band). Excepting the band the dorsal of the tail
is entirely green. There is no white terminal
band on the dorsal of the tail, only on the
ventral, and this is distinctive (the remainder
of the ventrum of the tail being a sooty black).
The blue band appears in all lighting
conditions, with varying conspicuousness, but is
a real (not artefactual) feature.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to get to the
uni library for another two weeks, but if
nothing has surfaced by then I will be sure to
check it out. If anyone does have access to
HANZAB then it would be great if you could
enlighten Andy, myself and anybody else on this
posting who is interested.

Cheers, Dean

½ Price FOXTEL Digital Installation On-Line
Limited Offer:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;9412514;9681905;p?http://www.foxtel.tv

--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours