birding-aus

Fwd: Plea for help finding Noisy Miner free remnants

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Plea for help finding Noisy Miner free remnants
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 06:53:25 +1000 (EST)
It seems this message didn't get through to everyone the first time I
sent it.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Joanne Oldland" <>
Date: 16 June 2004 11:39:50 AM

My name is Jo Oldland. I'm a research assistant working within Assoc.
Prof. Mike Clarke's 'Ornithology and Avian Conservation' group at La
Trobe University. We are in the early stages of a three year project
aiming to find a sustainable means of limiting the negative impact of
domination of remnant native and planted woodland by the
hyper-aggressive Noisy Miner.

One aspect of the study involves looking at how woodland remnants that
are NOT dominated by Noisy Miners differ from those that are. Part of
the study involves finding small woodland remnants (< 20 ha in area)
that are free of Noisy Miners (or at least not dominated by them)
within the range of the Noisy Miner within Victoria and NSW.

We would like to enlist the help of fellow ornithologists and bird
watchers throughout Victoria and NSW to locate these remnants. So far
the task is proving to be quite difficult, as these remnants are few
and far between, and also likely to be located on private property.

Of particular interest to the study are remnants occurring within
Box-Ironbark Forests; Riverine Grassy Woodlands; the Gippsland Plains
Grassy Woodlands and the 'Box-Buloke' Plains Grassy Woodlands of
Western Victoria. Having said this, we would also be interested to
learn of ANY Noisy Miner-free remnants within Victoria and NSW.

The remnants must be 'discreet areas', at least 50 m from other
vegetated areas, although if connected remnants (via vegetation
corridors etc.), free of Noisy Miners exist, we would be eager to
learn of them too.

An additional requirement is that the overstorey must consist, at
least partially, of eucalypt species.

My contact details are:                                 Jo Oldland
                                                   Department of Zoology
                                                   La Trobe University
                                                   BUNDOORA VIC 3086
                                                   Ph: (03) 9479 1672