birding-aus

Morcombe Revised Field Guide

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Morcombe Revised Field Guide
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:56:45 +1000
g'day all,

A list member asked what are the revisions to the Michael Morcombe
Field Guide to Australian Birds.
I note at least 7 plates have been entirely redone.
These include
41,          petrels
47 & 49, shearwaters
73,          egrets
75,          bitterns
99,          crakes etc
123,        stints etc

Unfortunately the look-a-like Quails and Button Quails are still
separated by 84 pages

The Guide now includes an Alphabetic Quick Index that is also colour
coded.
Michael has a Web Page listed on pages 2 and also 432

But I had to use the Light Background feature on my PC and vintage
screen when it was available.
Updates can be found at
http://www.michaelmorcombe.com.au/updatefamilies2.html#Family%20Number

Unfortunately my 24 Kbps is much too slow to handle the Video clips
etc.
and I was unable to determine which pages to skip.
I suspect that there may be a few other problems with the Web Page.

When the FG was 1st published there were a number of postings to this
Mailing List detailing various errors.
A couple that I checked out have been corrected
eg  .. the note on Black Currawong Tail, page 315

At that time I commented that the Nest section should have been
published as a separate book .. but I am surprised
how frequently I now refer to it.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.