birding-aus

Azure Kingfishers

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "N & J Russill" <>
Subject: Azure Kingfishers
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:04:29 +1000
Yes to Judi and Neil,

I've observed something very similar, in September and in May.

A copy of my posting to birding-aus on 9 May 2000 describing the events
follows:

"A spectacular sight here this-morning, when one Azure Kingfisher fluttered
its wings at another from an adjacent branch and then commenced to fly in a
tight circle around the other bird, which crouched during the performance.
The two birds, both apparently well-coloured adults, continued to-ing and
fro-ing for several minutes in and out of our view from the verandah, but
clearly in a sustained interaction.

We watched a more extended version of this same activity in September of
last year when two Azure Kingfishers alternated flying around each other,
interspersed with a lot of bobbing, crouching, beak-clapping and
wing-fluttering. Then, as today, the flashing of blues and reds in the
sunlight was literally breathtaking. What a privilege!

We've had some rain lately, and Lockyer Creek has recovered a few
centimetres of what it lost during the dry early part of the year.

But, can this be courtship in early May?"

Truly a wonderful sight to see, and surely the activity that we were
witnessing must be courtship related, whether or not it led to subsequent
nesting. The New Atlas of Australian Birds shows breeding records between
August and April, peaking from October to December, but I imagine that, as
with many other Aussie species, Azure Kingfisher breeding dates can be a
variable which is subject to availability of water and food supply.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at www.abberton.org