birding-aus

Azure Kingfishers

To: N & J Russill <>
Subject: Azure Kingfishers
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:40:46 +1000
Dear Judi and Neil,
Sounds like courtship behaviour. Some years ago Ellen McCulloch
described a 'wing-waving' display by Azure KFs in which the birds
perched opposite each other with wings spread and waved them for some
time. This appeared in the 'Australian Bird Watcher'. I think the
reference may be given in HANZAB.
  Azures are beautiful birds at any time, but these displays must be
something extra. One reason for having a video camera I suppose.
 Anthea Fleming
in chilly Melbourne