birding-aus

Chestnut-breasted Whiteface; A good time of year.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Chestnut-breasted Whiteface; A good time of year.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:20:07 +0930
g'Day all

Heading for home from the Strzelecki desert, our choice for an overnight stop
was 27 km ENE of Lyndhurst SA at the known Chestnut-breasted Whiteface site.
The recent patchy rain across northern South Australia had little effect here
and the surrounding area was relatively dry.  We arrived late but the next
morning (29 May 2004) was calm and clear with a slight frost, ideal for early
morning birdwatching and the resident species did not disappoint although the
nomads were absent due to the drought.

Within 250 metres of S 30'11.8", E 138'36.8" we had excellent views of (11+) Chestnut breasted Whiteface at 4 separate locations, 5 Thick-billed Grasswrens, 6 Cinnamon Quail-Thrush, as well as Chirruping Wedgebill, Rufous Fieldwren, White-winged Wren and other locals.
Late autumn is a good time of year for birdwatching here because the weather is
normally mild and calm, predictably the fly population declines from mid May
until late August and birds are generally more approachable and brightening up
prior to breeding.

Regards

Ian May
Price, South Australia