birding-aus

King Penguin

To: <>
Subject: King Penguin
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:03:12 +1100
Hi Birders

Robin & Allan Benson and myself made the trip from the NSW Central Coast by car to Port MacDonnell S.A, the fishing port 20 km from Mt Gambier, to see the King Penguin on the beach below the Cape Northumberland car park. We departed here at 6 am Friday 27 February and arrived Saturday morning 10.15 am, to a car park where a number of satisfied birders were having morning tea. They pointed to a spot about 100 m away where from a low cliff one could look down and see the Penquin, about 30 m further along the beach in a small overhang. The Penguin was seemingly asleep standing up when we first arrived, but from then and over the next one and a half hours was preening away the old feathers. Judging by the foot marks on the receding tide line, it had not long returned to the site from the water.

There was not much else to see at the site. Singing Honeyeaters were present in the heath and dunes and just offshore were three small stacks covered in roosting Black-faced Cormorants. So after taking a few photographs, especially once the sun found the Penguin, we too had morning tea and then departed. There were about 20 people at the site, with a number coming and going. No-one went past the barrier erected on the beach and the bird was not disturbed. We then did the touristy thing at the Blue Lake at Mount Gambier (first visit for us) and returned back home. There was a sign in the carpark that said "Sydney 1200 km"! It was sad therefore to read on our return home that on Monday the Penguin was unwell and so was taken into care and that it died the following day.

However, we would like to thank the people who advise Biridng-aus of the Penguins presence, and to also thank those people who cared for the bird both on site and when it went into care. Willdife carers play a very valuable role in the community and we are conscious of the good work that they do.

On our way to Port MacDonnell via the Glenelg Highway, we were pleased to see 4 Red-tailed Black Cockatoos near Casterton, and then a bit further on 4 Brolgas in a roadside paddock!

Alan Morris