birding-aus

King Penguin

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: King Penguin
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:27:04 +1030
Hi all.
Sorry to report but the twitch is over, this afternoon I received a call to say that the penguin was laying face down in the sand, after phoning the local ranger I drove straight down for a look. The bird was laying just above the water mark, the water had been lapping right up near it and all the bird could manage was a few steps and then plant its beak in the sand again. Locals had been watching it until my arrival. When I approached it the bird remained still until I was approx 1m away then it stood but was very unstable on its feet.
Over the last two days the bird had moved to the opposite end of the beach and yesterday had moved to a different beach, without the protection of a barrier people had been approaching the bird to within metres, so National Parks SA moved the barrier to this new location. I have had reports that a number of people were totally ignoring the barrier and approaching it, including a report today of a whole busload of kids walking straight past the barrier.
We decided (a decision not easily made I might add) to remove the bird for checkup and treatment, I had discussed this with the ranger in my phone call. The bird was transported to Mt. Gambier to the vet and is currently being watched over by them. Contact will be made in the morning with penguin experts in Tasmania for advice. We have been having a run of warm days, mid to high twenties, possible dehydration combined with the stress of the close attention by some people may have led to this, I guess we won't know.
I did feel sorry for the twitchers at the end of a 600 km drive to find me walking up the steps towards them with the penguin in a blanket in my arms. To make it worse they had gone to the original beach and so had lost enough time that had they gone to the new location they would have seen it before it was picked up.
Will keep Birding Aus updated on any progress.

Bob Green