birding-aus

Cheap alternative to Slide Scanner

To: <>
Subject: Cheap alternative to Slide Scanner
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 06:33:16 +1000
Hi all,
Michael Hunter got me thinking with his posting: Re: Digital Bird-photography,
Part 2: Film and
Scanners (Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:34:20 +1100).
See: http://menura.cse.unsw.edu.au:64800/2004/03/msg00015.html

Using my trusty Nikon Coolpix 4500 (probably one of the most versatile compact
digital cameras ever
made but, sadly, now out of production) and a Reflecta B 40 (un-powered) slide
viewer (AUD$10) I was
able to digitally copy a photo slide almost to the quality achieved scanning
the same slide with a
Nikon Coolscan IV ED film scanner. That scanner is considered one of the better
'home-office'
film/slide scanners so the achievement with the Cp 4500 and slide viewer was
quite remarkable.
It should be said, though, that the same experiment with an Olympus Camedia
C-700 Ultra Zoom compact
digital camera was a total failure.

Thus, the concept Michael described certainly has a lot of merit but it would
seem that you will
need the 'right' camera.

To see the results of my 'experiment' check out the link to: "An Ultra-Cheap
Slide/Film Scanner
Alternative" on my web-site:
http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/

Also, I have added a slightly modified (and not yet complete) version of the
notes on Digital
Bird-photography to the web-site.
Click on the link to that topic on the 'Entry Page'.
These pages are a bit 'rough' at the moment but the plan (Plan 'b'?) is to add
some fancy stuff such
as pictures eventually.

Cheers
Bob Inglis