birding-aus

How often to Pied Currawongs nest in suburban Melbourne?

Subject: How often to Pied Currawongs nest in suburban Melbourne?
From: Susan Knowles <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:08:40 +1000
This may vary in different parts of Sydney. In Eastwood (northern suburbs) King Parrots are quite common. We had 3 in a tree in our yard last week. Twenty years ago, however, we would never have seen them. Many parrots seem to be increasing in numbers in the coastal areas, including Sydney.

Susan Knowles

Rohan
I have heard a lot of different birds are in areas where they are not
normally found. My parents live in Sydney and dad said he had a King Parrot
in his yard and they haven't ever had them before in 40 years of living
there. It is very strange, maybe all the bush fires we all had have moved
the birds closer to where there is food?? I know where I am on the NSW South
Coast, so many people are cutting trees and land developers are getting rid
of the bush, even where there are Yellow Bellied Gliders which are a
threatened species. I think they will become endangered soon like all of the
other wildlife out there with not a lot of hollows to nest in and food will
be scarce as well.
I hate seeing what we are all doing to the wildlife.

Marian
wildlife carer