birding-aus

Crescent Honeyeaters in the lower Blue Mtns

To: <>
Subject: Crescent Honeyeaters in the lower Blue Mtns
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:33:45 +1000
Graham Turner raised the question of Crescent Honeyeaters in the lower Blue
Mountains. My experience is similar to Graham's, that they are generally a
bird of the mid to upper Blue Mountains.

This prompted me to search the Blue Mountains Bird Observers records. From
1996 to the present, there is only one record on their database of Crescent
Honeyeater below Winmalee/Springwood (see below). In fact they have very
few records below about Woodford (which is in the mid-mountains at 600m
asl). These are as follows:
June 96 Springwood
31/8/97 Glenbrook Gorge
27/5/98 Martin's Lookout (Springwood)
20/3/99 Blue Gum Swamp (Winmalee)

Throughout the mountains, most sightings occur around the winter months
with few records in summer (Nov-Jan), suggesting a latitudinal migration
from further south.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets