birding-aus

Honeyeater migration update

Subject: Honeyeater migration update
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:00:13 +1000
Hello all,

Since my last posting about the Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeater
migration at Katoomba on 21st April, there has been not much to report. I
was away from my home during the first ten days of this month, then we had
a week of rain and overcast skies. Finally, this week the weather has been
clear although very cold and windy, and until today there had been not a
single migrating honeyeater to be seen! Now, just as I am about to send
this email, a flock of about 70, mostly White-naped with some Yellow-faced,
flew over. It seems, at least here, that the migration is almost finished
for the year.

As compensation I had the pleasure of watching a Crescent Honeyeater
close-up as it fed on Banksia cunninghamii nectar at the Gordon Falls
lookout at Leura the other day. Crescents have been really hard to find in
the Blue Mountains over the past few months but at this time of year they
start to come up onto the escarpments and heathlands as the banksias come
into flower.

There have also been large number of Silvereyes around, including both
subspecies familiaris and lateralis.

Although we haven't had as much rain as Sydney, there is enough moisture
around to creat a wonderful display of fungi in every imaginable shape and
colour along many of the walks.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets