birding-aus

Honeyeater migration update

To: "'Carol Probets'" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration update
From: "Graham" <>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:06:15 +1000
Gidday Birders,
                  following on from Carols Honeyeater comments,
especially Crescents. I had a new bird for my garden at Lapstone, in the
lower Blue Mtns, namely a Crescent Honeyeater. In 20 years of living in
lapstone neither my father nor myself have seen a Crescent HE in the
suburb. Not sure if any of the others on birding aus have any records,
but I associate the bird with further up the Mtns, with Blue Gum Swamp
Creek (Winmalee) being the closest regular spot. I wondered if the
bushfires had anything to do with this odd sighting.

I have also had a few calls from Fuscous HE's over the last few weeks.
They were around about a year ago, and seemed to have returned.

Also, the Red Wattlebirds have been on the move with flocks seen all
over the Sydney area (I do a lot of driving and have seen them in odd
places). More interestingly, they (Wattlebirds) decided that the lerps
in the grey gums across the road were worth the effort of fighting off
the bell miners for a few days. Not surprising when you can see the
lerps (with the help of bins) from 30m away.

Cheers
Graham Turner
Lapstone,
Lower Blue Mountains