birding-aus

Beginning Birding - help!! but wait here's Moore

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Beginning Birding - help!! but wait here's Moore
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Jenny, Jan and all,

I'm hoping to get a "colouring in" book manufacturer on line, with creating a "Birds" and a "Frogs" etc etc colouring book set published.

If you have any contacts re: the production side of things for the colouring in books could you let John know please.

Sorry about the below file being a PDF but I think it might help many re: How to start the educational process?

John got a lot of help from wonderful folk on the BA list and Ozpost with posters etc., etc., he might still have some?

Hope this helps, kind regards, Angela

jan england <> wrote:

Hi Jenny,
I taught a lesson on birds to a Grade 5 class for a term when I was in
Cairns in 1999. I think it was approximately 45 mins-60 mins per week. I
divided the term into about 4 categories, i.e. bush birds, seabirds, raptors and rainforest birds and used as many posters and materials as I could get hold of including some speciments from the Museum (which they loved). We tried to go out into the school grounds every couple of weeks and I included some colouring in, drawing and activity sheets to help them learn to identify the birds. I finished the term with a visit to the Cairns Esplanade and I asked some of the local birders to come along and help the kids with ID on the day. Of course they really enjoyed using the telescopes as well as the outing.

I now liv e on the Sunshine Coast of Qld. and do not have most of those
resources. However, you can use books from the library as well as videos, etc. and the Gould League have some wonderful posters. I still have some posters but they are fairly old and I'm not sure where you live. However, we must remember not to expect all the students to be interested just as a lot of adults are not interested in birdwatching so its hard to keep everyone involved all the time.

Just make it fun, Good luck
Jan