birding-aus

Beginning Birding - help!!

To: <>
Subject: Beginning Birding - help!!
From: "jan england" <>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 21:30:19 +1000
Hi Jenny,

I taught a lesson on birds to a Grade 5 class for a term when I was in
Cairns in 1999.  I think it was approximately 45 mins-60 mins per week.  I
divided the term into about 4 categories, i.e. bush birds, seabirds, raptors
and rainforest birds and used as many posters and  materials as I could get
hold of including some speciments from the  Museum (which they loved).  We
tried to go out into the school grounds every couple of  weeks and I
included some colouring in, drawing and activity sheets  to help them learn
to identify  the  birds.  I finished the term  with a visit to the Cairns
Esplanade and I asked some of the local birders to come along and help the
kids with ID on the day.  Of course they really enjoyed using the telescopes
as well as the outing.

I now liv e on the Sunshine Coast of Qld. and do not have most of those
resources.  However, you can use books from the library as well as videos,
etc. and the Gould League have some wonderful posters. I still have some
posters but they are fairly old and I'm not sure where you live.  However,
we must remember not to expect all the students to be interested just as a
lot of adults are not interested in birdwatching so its hard to keep
everyone involved all the time.

Just make it fun,  Good luck

Jan