birding-aus

Hooded Robin

Subject: Hooded Robin
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:38:36 +1000

Hi All,

I had quite a shock today while on my way to wetlands here in Carrara on the Gold Coast in Queensland. As i chose to ride my bike due to the short distance i had to travel i continuously stopped to take note of the various birds in the particular area as i had never been through that area before. To my surprise i watched or should i say was watched by a single male Hooded Robin (Melanodryas cucullata) for aproximatley five minutes. The bird perched on low overhead powerlines allowing me to identify the bird easily.

I have looked in various books and noted that the bird should not be in this area. Could it possibly be here because of drought? It was the only Hooded Robin present with no females present. What records of these birds are there for the Gold Coast? I am going to report this sighting to Birds Queensland. If only i didn't have to work tommorow or i would go for a second look. A full report of the days birding will be posted when i get the time and my computer fixed.

Yours sincerely

Mr Jade Welch