birding-aus

ABC Radio - congrats to Judie Peet

To: "Judie Peet" <>
Subject: ABC Radio - congrats to Judie Peet
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 19:46:26 +1100
Hi Judie,

I didn't hear your excerpts on radio, but it sounds like a great initiative. Don't worry about what the supposedly more "hardcore" birders think - they're not your audience! The important thing is to reach more people and make them think about things they otherwise wouldn't. Birding IS, after all, great fun - something that gives everyone on this list a great deal of pleasure - and if it is continually portrayed to others as the serious and slightly nerdy activity it's usually perceived as, we'll never get anywhere in conservation terms.

Everyone on this list, I believe, has something to contribute to birds and their conservation. If we think inclusively rather than exclusively, we'll attract far more people to our flock. A question/theme that may be worth returning to in our own minds is, what initially attracted me to birds and birding?

Cheers, AS