birding-aus

Thailand info?

Subject: Thailand info?
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:17:34 +1100

Hello all,

I'm off on a 3 week trip to Thailand (mostly birdwatching and photography except for 3 days going to a friends wedding) later this month and am in the throes of planning the trip. There's a few places that we're keen to go to but I'm a bit short on information about. I was hoping that someone on Birding-Aus might be able to help. I'll probably put a similar email to the Oriental Birds newsgroup as well.

Chiang Saen- near the Golden Triangle and is apparently a good spot to go to for waterbirds. Any advice on where to actually go would be much appreciated. Recommended place to stay? Is this where Nong Bong Khai is as well? Whereabouts is this spot and are there any other good wetlands in the area?

Mae Fang NP (Doi Pha Hom Pok)- We're considering not going to Doi Ang Khang and going here instead. I've hardly found out anything about the place. Any advice on where to go or whether its a good place would be much appreciated. I understand that there are Brown Dipper here. Whereabouts are these? Are there any particular spots on the road to Doi Pha Hom Pok that are good to stop at?

Doi Chiang Dao- wherabouts are the Black-tailed Crakes here?

We're also planning on spending time at Khao Yai NP, Doi Inthanon NP, Doi Chiang Dao, Ayuthaya, and visiting Rangsit Swamp and Wat Phailom. There is a lot more information in trip reports for these places so while I'm more than happy to accept advice on what to do and where to look I should be able to stumble around and come across things!

Just so this posting isn't completely off topic, apparently the lone surviving Red-tailed Black-cockatoo at Oolambeyan NP south of Hay is still kicking around.

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW