birding-aus

Laughing Gull 2003 update 5

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull 2003 update 5
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:14:03 +1000
G'day,

I did not find the Laughing Gull today at the normal spots during the hour
or so I was in the area around high tide.  This is consistent with past
behaviour so it shouldn't deter any potential visitors hoping to see the
bird.  Rather than bore everyone with daily postings, I'll just comment now
and then if I think it could be helpful.  If I get specific inquiries I'll
answer them directly or make a further posting.  Inquiries about the gull,
that is.  I've no idea what's happened to the yodeller and you'll just have
to try Scoopy's steak & eggs breakfast for yourselves.

Browsing through the birding-aus archive, I notice that Jill Dening (Hi,
Jill) has invited anyone visiting Bribie Island wanting to tick the Laughing
Gull (mere twitchers, eh?) to help us locals with tern identification   In
particular, with the reported Black-naped Terns at Kakadu Beach.  (I'm
curious as to which current weather conditions are conducive to the
appearance of Black-naped Terns on Bribie - inland drought?)  These terns
have actually been around for the past few weeks, and were present today.
But I won't be so presumptuous as to suggest their identity and perhaps
spoil the fun. Incidentally, I've seen 17 species of tern on Bribie during
the last 5 years - just 3 more to go?  Not too shabby for a small island in
the Coral Sea.

Quite a lot has been happening at KB recently, positive and negative, but
this is probably not the best place to elaborate.  Perhaps just one snippet:
In Wildlife Australia magazine, summer 2002, we are told that the roosting
site ..... "provides space for the 50,000 (birds) that can appear in summer"
I would certainly be, as they say earlier in the item, "brimming with
happiness".

Cheers - Trevor.