birding-aus

Spam

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Spam
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:50:43 +1000
Just to support Richard, Chris and others with a practical example.

My brother has been in WA for the past 2 1/2 weeks (playing hockey and some birding). He didn't unsubscribe to birding-aus in this time. As there were some many Bugbear viruses floating through the email system, I decided to keep what I thought would be relevant to him to forward to him and junk his emails through his ISP.

Would you believe in about 2 weeks I kept 22 emails. That's 22 out of 100's. Now I'm not saying they'll are spam or relevant to somebody but its like panning for gold to get a posting that are relevant to one's area of interest in birding.

I've had my say about this before with the Birding-Aus Law ie "the number of postings put on birding aus by any individual is inversely proportional to its relevance".

Somebody(Michael Norris I think) actually did the analysis on the top 10 correspondents for a month. The results would have surprised know one and confirms Chris's point that birding-aus is being used a personal chat line by certain subscribers.

Allan

Allan Benson
Ourimbah
NSW