birding-aus

NT Birdchat this week

Subject: NT Birdchat this week
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:49:53 +0930
Hi all
the birds are still trickling in, the sweat is more than trickling, and
the swamps are drying out for the first time in donkeys years...

Of interest this week.

Beach Thick-knees at East Point, Darwin (which is mean of them
since I've missed them the last few times I've been there).

Fork-tailed Swifts at Fogg Dam.
Spotted Harrier at Fogg Dam.

White-throated Grasswren beside the pools at the top of Gunlom,
Kakadu.

Sandstone Shrike-thrush on a nest in a small rock crevice at
Gunlom.

Up to 10 Oriental Pratincoles at Knuckeys Lagoon, edge of Darwin.

Rufous Owl at 'Douglas' (still chasing the exact location of this
report)

1000s of Plumed Whistling Ducks in the Darwin area, which is very
unusual. Normally Wandering are common, very rarely this many
Plumed.

Enjoy your birding

Niven