birding-aus

Phillip Island Sightings 13-14 Oct

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Phillip Island Sightings 13-14 Oct
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 23:40:28 +1000
I decided I didn't have time to attend the Wesboc outing to Cranbourne Botanic Gardens on Sat., so as a consolation I spent a couple of hours in my favourite birding/walking site on The Island, Oswin Roberts Reserve.  Going down the main track we saw the usual range of honeyeaters, Grey Fantails, Kookaburra, Grey Currawong,etc.  The highlight was a pair of Spotted Pardalotes which allowed us to get a good view just on the edge of the track.  There wasn't much bird life at the dam, but the dam was teeming with enormous tadpoles!

The understorey of the bush was in great shape with several wattles in or just past flower.  The white flowers of the snowy Daisy Bush lit up the view and an unusual Pomaderris was also in flower.

We returned by the western, where I often see 'more interesting' birds.  This trip was no exception. A pair of Horsefield's Bronze-cuckoos entertained us for a while, enough for my non-birdwatching friend to actually get them in his binoculars.  Then a male Golden Whistler was foraging in bushes hanging over the track, a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike flew past and to top the excursion off, nearly back at the carpark we found a pair of Striated Pardalotes showing exceptional interest in a hole in a tree right next to the track.  I'll keep that spot in mind over the next few weeks.

Today I thought I'd better get started on my surveys for the Wildlife Corridor monitoring, done twice a year at various spots around the Island by members of Wesboc in conjuction with Landcare.  My site is the unmade section of Dunsmore Road, which some locals are trying to get closed to vehicles in favour of a cycling/walking track.  This patch of road, a few minutes walk from my home, is host to some of the largest Blue Gums on Phillip Island near Cowes.  Many of these mature trees have holes suitable for nesting in by parrots, etc. Because cars are still allowed to use the road it is often dusty and the roadside vegetation is suffering from weed infestation and removal by residents either deliberately or incidently. Three surveys of 20 min. duration are done within a two week period.

Birds sighted today included the usual range of honeyeaters, galahs, Rainbow Lorikeets, a Grey Shrike-thrush, another Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike and at least one Scaly-breasted Lorikeet - first I've seen in Victoria, let alone Phillip Island!
Looks like I'll have to get another 'unusual bird sighting' off to BOCA.

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island