birding-aus

Mobile Phones

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Mobile Phones
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:21:11 +1000
I have used a mobile phone at times to let others know of rarities but (and
it is a big BUT) I have generally found that if you are out of the major
coastal towns there is very little chance of a signal.  Even my own backyard
in urban Toowoomba was a mobile "black spot".

Most of the Gold Coast hinterland valleys are just as bad.  We are only
talking about small distances of 15 to 20 km from the centre of the Gold
Coast in some cases.

This goes for all networks with some working in areas that others will not
work.  On a trip to Cairns, my wife's phone was with Telstra and mine with
Optus.  For more than 50% of the time, we had no signal with either phone.

My wife's phone is now with Vodaphone but we had no more luck at Rainbow
Beach or Woodgate on the Queensland coast or Mt Perry just west of the
Highway near Bundaberg in May and June this year.

Of course, I am imagining all this as the Government says that Telstra is
now providing a satisfactory service outside the metropolitan areas.

Terry Pacey

Gold Coast

PS  My wife just "dropped out" while she was trying to call me while walking
beside the main road outside the Gold Coast Hospital.