birding-aus

Wonga Pigeons on the Eildon/Warburton Road (Vic)

Subject: Wonga Pigeons on the Eildon/Warburton Road (Vic)
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:26:25 +1000
My sincere thanks for information about Wonga Pigeons, and three cheers
for Birding-aus.

To summarize the replies received so far:
Merrilyn Serong has seen Wonga Pigeons in the Toolangi State Forest
(most recently at the Tanglefoot CarPark) and in the Black Range State
Forest - about 2 per year.
Doug Holly sees them at the Murrundindi Camping Area in Toolangi State
Forest, when camping in November. I gather he has done so a number of
times.
Ian Temby called one up in the Cathedral Range in the mid 90s.

>From which it seems that they are indeed present in this part of the
world, but are not at all numerous. Thank you all very much. Next time
I'm up there I shall keep an eye and an ear out for them, and note GPS
readings too.

Thanks again,
Anthea Fleming