birding-aus

GAME BILL MADNESS

To: Ian May <>
Subject: GAME BILL MADNESS
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:20:31 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Ian May wrote:
> Somebody posted a link on Birding-aus to the draft legislation about
> this proposed game council recently.  After reading the proposed bill, I
> was left in little doubt about the nature of the proposed council being
> stacked by game hunting proponents.  The council makeup did not appear
> to have "reasonable balance".
>
> It is of concern because amongst other things, the proposed duties and
> powers of this "game council" will intrude into many areas of wildlife
> management and nature conservation including conservation land
> management.
>
> But now I have lost the link so can not comment further without a few
> more facts.  Could somebody repost or redirect me to the link please?

The bill is at:

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/61dac74c17351ae7ca25688e00780dff/05b0e343e2fe9b33ca256b11002fcab9

As I said in my previous message, I don't understand the political or
legislative implications of this bill but its very disappointing to
see a number of native bird species listed as "game animals" alongside
various introduced species.  The native species are: Pacific Black Duck,
Grey Teal, Australian Wood Duck, Brown Quail and Stubble Quail.

Andrew Taylor