birding-aus

2002 birds

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: 2002 birds
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:53:21 +1000
Hi all

Having read of Sean Dooley's little challenge which he has set himself for 2002 got me wondering how many OZ species I would see in a year.  I am a consultant ornithologist and bird tour guide, mainly operating in SE Queensland. I have never kept a year list before.  So I have decided to keep a 2002 list!  My first bird for 2002 was Channel-billed Cuckoo at about 5.30 am at Woodford Folk Festival (north of Brisbane).  No. 50 was a Long-billed Corella at Kalinga Park in Brisbane close to home.

I then had a week long trip to the Cairns area with two 70+ birders who were not really into small brown birds which are hard to scope up.  No.100 was a Green Pygmy-goose at Caravonica near the Skyrail base.  150 was a Bustard near Mt Carbine and 200 was a Little Tern at Cairns.       Chris Dahlberg's boat trip gave the tally a good boost with Papuan Frogmouth, Black Bittern and a tick for me, Great-billed Heron.  January's tally was 205.

I am now up to 243 after a trip to Stanthorpe and briefly to Inglewood (west of Warwick) Queensland before being chased by a big storm.  Got Emus near Karara.

I will keep listers posted.

Cheers

Roy